Monday, January 27, 2020

Reading Notes Part B: Bharata Returns


I really enjoyed the Story of Bharata Returns.  I feel like this story is a great representation for people all over the world.  It shows that it doesn’t matter what culture or race you are, that the loss of loved ones has a profound effect on everyone.  After I read this story, I instantly began to see how it could be worded to fit other cultures or religions.  This story reminds me of a story that I had to read for mythology and folklore.  It was cool to see a connection between two different stories that are in different parts of the world.  It would seem like to me that every culture has a small part in shaping the myths and legends that all the cultures use around the world.  Since people always interacted with each other it stands to reason that whatever they might have learned from another person of a different race and culture, they then take back to their people and use it to help grow a story.

One point that I thought was interesting is that when Bharata found who was responsible for the death of his father and his brothers exile he did not want revenge.  He ordered the hunchback to be set free because he realized if he were to harm her than vengeance would befall him.  In other stories like this one, in other cultures, the person who finds the one responsible for the deaths in their lives usually extract vengeance.  This was interesting to me that a guy who just lost almost everything that he had would spare the life of the one who caused him and his mother such grief.  It definitely shows to me that the people involved in the Indian epics are much more evolved than say, Greek heroes. 


Bharata. (1916)
Balasaheb Pandit Pant Pratinidhi. Souce: Wikicommons

Bibliography: Gibbs, Laura. Bharata Returns. Bharata Returns

No comments:

Post a Comment