Sunday, February 2, 2020

Reading Notes Part C: Sugriva and Hanuman

What to say about this first reading?  I really enjoy that the readings have a preview about what happened in the stories before if you haven’t read them. These readings never seem to be too dull at all.  I always seem to be captivated by what I am reading.  Then I eventually find myself reading the story again and again just for the fun of it. The descriptions that are used in this story allowed me to visualize in my head what was going on. What I have learned so far from the three readings I have done so far is that the story tellers really take their time. They like to be as accurate as they can and also like to be as descriptive as a they can.  Even though the message they want to get across is done so well that one could most likely skip over the meaning. 

What is interesting to me is that in Indian stories a character that you meet here and there can shape shift into an animal.  I have always wondered why Indian stories needed to have those kinds of characters.  I think it is a new take on telling myths by having humans transform into monkeys.   That is also one other thing that I noticed a lot of. In Asian culture it seems like becoming a monkey or having a monkey in a story is key to the progression some way.  It also seems that every type of culture has certain Gods that do something interesting.  The Wind God in Indian culture reminds me of Thor because he controlled lighting and wind to some degree.

Sugriva. (1628-1649)
Unknown Author. Source: Wikicommons

Bibliography: Gibbs, Laura. Sugriva and Hanuman. Sugriva and Hanuman

No comments:

Post a Comment