Sunday, February 9, 2020

Reading Notes Part B: The House of Fire

There is so much to say about this story.  When I first chose this tory to read I thought it was going to have a different ending completely.  Usually when I ready myths or folklores, they have somewhat of a decent ending. I am trying to remember the last story that I read that had the evil villains succeeding and I am drawing a blank.  What was even more shocking was that men wished harm to a woman and children.  That is usually very frowned upon in any culture and I don’t believe there are many stories that deal with that.  I remember feeling happy when I thought the wicked captain and his man died in the flames. Unfortunately, that feeling went away once an innocent woman and her children perished by the flames that somehow reached where they were staying.  It also blows my mind that the prince and king could celebrate so freely for the deaths of what they thought was the queen and her sons. It just really shows how heartless those two men were and how they were not fit to be royalty. Even though the main targets of the evil plan lived, the queen’s son was directly responsible for the deaths of innocents. It makes me wonder how he is going to feel after knowing what he did.

I was wondering why they needed to have the children and mom die in the first place.  I feel that it really didn’t serve any purpose for the theme of the story. I guess a purpose of them dying would be to let others know that even though you are trying to beat evil, sometimes there are tragic consequences. Also, this story shows that a false narrative can cause a domino effect that maybe hard to come back from.  Overall, I did enjoy this story, it just stunk that a woman and her kids died for no real reason.


Purochan. (1968)
Ramnadayandatta Shastri Pandey. Source: Wikicommons


Bibliography: Gibbs, Laura. The House of Fire. The House of Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment