Saturday, March 7, 2020

Reading Notes Part A: Myths of the Hindus and Buddhists: Mahabharata

For the reading part A I chose The Myths of Hindus and Buddhists: Mahabhrata.  This was a very long and sophisticated reading.  For one, I feel that I still do not know how to pronounce the names still and with the inclusion of different gods and goddesses I still don’t know which one does what.  I do feel like the stories that are shown throughout the first part of Mahabhrata are good stepping stones until Part B is reached.  It seems like the trials and tribulations that the characters go through in Part A can easily be related to real life.  That to me is what I find fascinating.  Whenever I am reading a story for this class I can always sense a connection between what is going on in my person life/real world and what they were describing back then. It seems that the Indians type of storytelling was sort of foretelling the future because in a eerie way, some of the stories relate to what is happening in the world.

While there is a lot to praise to there are also some negatives.  One negative is that while the stories are good and just, there seems to be a lot going on.  What I mean by that is that there seems to be an overabundance of characters and journeys that are happening. Now, while this might good sometimes, here it is bad because it is hard to remember all the people’s names.  There also seems to be a lot of twists and turns that occur during the stories that might be a little unnecessary. Some parts of Part A are a little slow and seem to make me lose interest which is not the best because then I want to read something else. Overall though, I felt like the characters and the journey that each one went on during Part A were done very well.

Pandu. (1690)
NA. Source: Wikicommons

Bibliography: Gibbs, Laura. Myths of the Hindus and Buddhists: Mahabharata. Myths of the Hindus and Buddhists: Mahabharata

No comments:

Post a Comment