Monday, March 23, 2020

Reading Notes Part A: Jataka Tales Part A

I really enjoyed all the stories in Part A. I thought they all did a good job of expanding on the stories from the old times and making them easier to understand.  I feel like the lessons that are being taught in these stories are a lot easier to understand than if we were reading something that written way back when. Sometimes, I do find it difficult to follow along with older stories because the way that they are written are very confusing. The story that I probably will write on is the monkey and crocodile.  What I may do to add a twist that instead of having the monkey get away from the crocodile, is have the monkey get too cocky and die.  While this is a dark take on the story it probably would be good to remind everyone that not all stories have good endings. I would also make the crocodile smarter than to monkey because too often crocodiles and sharks are considered quite dumb in stories like this and so having them being smart would be interesting. As Indian stories have shown us sometimes they do have the happiest ending.  

What I do find a little annoying about these stories is that they seem to all have a lesson to attach to them.  Why can’t a story just be a story and have no lesson with it.  Seems like all too often a story is trying to teach people something. I think having two evenly matched people/creatures would be an interesting take and make the story seem for even. Overall though, I did really enjoy reading all these stories. I liked how student made them up and put a more realistic spin on them than what we have read in the past.

Ox. (September 15, 2016)
AB.C. Source: Flickr


Bibliography: Gibbs, Laura. Jataka Tales. Jataka Tales

No comments:

Post a Comment