Monday, March 23, 2020

Week 10 Story: The Monkey and the Crocodile


There once was a young crocodile named Marty. He was the runt of his family and his older brothers always made fun of him because he could never seem to bring dinner home to the family.  On top of that there was also this monkey that lived up the bank that constantly made fun of Marty and made him feel inadequate. 

One day Marty’s mom, Dorothy, called him over and said, “Marty, I need you to go out and get dinner for us, your brothers and father are away hunting for gazelle.”

Marty replied, “Mom, what should I hunt for?”

His mom replied, “Just enough to feed us hunny.”

Marty then wagged his tale and went off in search of food for them.  Along the way up the bank to where the deer where he heard a voice call out to him.

“There goes that little runt, Marty. Says he is a crocodile but can never catch anything.”

Marty looked up and there was Damon, the wise cracker of the monkey’s, laughing at him. Marty grew mad just thinking about all the times Damon had called the other animals to laugh at Marty when he couldn’t secure dinner for the family.

 An idea formed in Marty’s head he thought, “If I pretend like i am giving up on hunting and pretend to cry maybe I can lure Damon down and we can eat him for dinner.”

After Marty had formulated this plan he proceeded to act it out.

He cried to Damon, “you are right, I am the worst hunter, so I give up! You win Damon, are you happy!”

Damon, upon hearing this, was shocked because he did not think that crocodiles would take jokes so seriously. He then proceeded to sing down to the lowest branch of the tree that he was in and looked at Marty.

He said, “We are just messing with you Marty, but if you want to give up why not just live on land. I’m sure the other animals will have use for a crocodile that can’t hunt.”

He then proceeded to laugh loudly and as he roared his head back he noticed that Marty winked at him.

He thought, “That is odd, why is Marty winkiiiiinnnngggg…”

Marty jumped out of the water and snatched Damon out of the tree as Damon was deep in thought.  With one powerful bite Damon was dead, no longer able to taunt and heckle Marty. When Marty returned home his father, brothers, and mother were all there.  Once they saw that Marty had Damon in his jaws they cheered for Marty had finally become one of them. That night a grand feast was held with the family heaping praise on Marty for killing the most annoying monkey in the jungle.

Monkey. (December 4, 2015)
Saidkarimail. Source: Wikicommons

Authors Note: 
I wanted to change up this story. In the original the monkey gets the best of the crocodile.  With this one I wanted the crocodile to turn the table on the monkey and get the last laugh.  I think having Marty being bullied by the monkey makes everyone feel for him and want him to finally get a kill.  This story isn’t as long as ones that I usually post because I want this one to be short, sweet, and to the point. It is serendipitous that that kill would be the Monkey. The lesson of the story is that karma will come around and bite you on the butt.

Bibliography: Babbitt, Ellen. The Monkey and the Crocodile. The Monkey and the Crocodile.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew!
    Okay what a fun story. This is one of my favorite stories so far. I think making it short was a great idea. My attention stayed focused on the story the whole time. I had no idea Marty was going to kill the monkey. I wonder what the other animals thought. Maybe they were relived or maybe they were sad. Overall, great writing and use of dialogue. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew!
    Awe poor Marty. I felt bad that his family and other species taunted him. It seemed to me that this teasing was his major motivation to make a successful hunt. You did a great job writing this story! Your paragraph spacing was very used very effectively with dialogue implementation. I almost wish that Marty didn't share his kill with his family that had been treating him so poorly.
    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew,

    I also wanted the croc to win when I read the original story lol. I like that you created a story where that happened, because I did feel bad for him. However, now I feel bad for the monkey haha. When you drug out the winking coming from Damon I actually laughed! One grammar mistake is when you said "sing down to the lowest branch" im assuming is supposed to be swing. Other than that, I really enjoyed it!

    Jake

    ReplyDelete