Monday, March 23, 2020

Reading Notes Part B: Jakata Tales Part B

After reading Part B I realized that all the stories were written by the same person, whoops.  Anyway, I think that all the stories in Part B are wonderfully done and there is hard to find any fault with them.  The descriptions that the writer uses helps me visualize and bring to life in my head what I am reading.  I know I have stated this countless time, but I think that it is super important to be able to have your reader visualize while they are reading what you have written.  That is the first and only way to draw their intention ion.  If the reading is bull and boring the person is most likely to skip it or read it once and then discard it from their mind.  With these stories, I know that they will stay with me for a long time. It definitely was not easy to pick a favorite story because I felt they were all very well written and conveyed the message well.

Again, the only thing that bugs me is the fact that most of the characters are animals.  I know that the Indians believed certain animals to be spiritual and holy, but I think it would be ok to throw human characters in there once and a while.  Reading about animals does get a bit stale after a while. I noticed that in this day and age it seems that the same animals that we think are dumb and stupid, the Indian’s did too.  We probably should treat all animals equal and not focus on what we think their intelligence is. That is probably the only thing that I have to nit-pick at. Overall, I did enjoy Part B stories and I kind of hope we get to read more stories like this because they were short and to the point.

Great Horned Owl. (March 9. 2016)
Peter K. Burian. Source: Wikicommons

Bibliography: Gibbs, Laura. Jataka Tales. Jataka Tales

No comments:

Post a Comment