Monday, April 6, 2020

Reading Notes Part B: Battle with Khara

For Part B I decided to choose the story Battle with Khara. I actually liked that this story did let us know what had happened in the story before it so that way I wouldn’t be lost. There really is not a whole lot of positive things to say about this story because it is rather short.  What I will say I like is that Rama does protect the ones he loves and defeats his enemy.

I hate how short the battle is. Why not make the battle between the main two people last longer than shooting a flaming arrow? When I read that line I was thinking, “That’s really the whole battle?” There needs to be more sustenance so that way anyone who reads this story can feel like they aren’t wasting their time. I just do not understand who a story that has led up to a big confrontation can end in such a little fight. Heck, it was not even a fight, all Rama did was fire a flaming arrow and catch Khara on fire, where’s the fun in reading that sentence. This story was such a letdown. Sometimes short stories are ok but in this case a longer one would have been preferred because it lacks a powerful punch.  I thought judging by the title of the story it would have to do more with Khara than with Rama and boy was I wrong. It seems weird that Indians don’t have their stories focus on bad guys but just on the good. If we got to know more about the bad guys and why they were doing what they were doing then the story would flow smoother. At first I thought I was going to write my story on part A but now I have a strong feeling I will focus on this one.
Rama Fighting Demons (1916)
Chitra Ramayana. Source: Wikicommons

Bibliography: Gibbs, Laura. Battle with Khara. Battle with Khara

No comments:

Post a Comment